Thursday, May 6, 2010

Breakfast at Tiffany's















Recently, I watched the classic movie Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time. It was always one of those movies that I had been on my "to watch" list, but I had never gotten around to. A few days ago on a whim, I crossed it off my list.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is classic that appealed to me on one level, but left me cold on another. My loves included the rapturous Mancini score (the wistful Moon River is beautiful and memorable -- I'm still humming it!); the iconic clothes (Hepburn was the original Sex and the City woman!); and Hepburn's performance was flawless (the above picture is from the opening scene in which a solitary Hepburn nibbles a bun, in the rooster crowing hours, while longingly gazing into Tiffany's -- no words were spoken, but the emotions resonated loud and clear)!

The plot, however, never really hooked me. Briefly, the story centers around "party girl" Holly Golightly's (Hepburn's character) secret past and present romance with "kept" neighbor George Peppard. I'm wondering if the Capote story lost something in its translation to the silver screen? I also found the chemistry between Hepburn and love interest Peppard lacking. Lastly, the scenes involving Mickey Rooney's impersonation of Hepburn's upstairs Japanese neighbor were offensive (although I gave the film a pass on this point due to its age).

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a movie with spectacular parts that are stonger than its sum.

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen the movie, but I did enjoy the book! It's been years since I read it though.

    ReplyDelete