Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Chapter -- First Paragraph -- Tuesday Intros!


Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter, First Paragraph, Tuesday Intros. This week's intro is from Late, Late at Night by Rick Springfield:


I tell the small, clear voice in my head to please shut the f**k up. I've heard its haranguing tone before. This voice is what has gotten me into this predicament I now find myself: almost fifteen years into a life in the music business with nothing to show for it but a handful of unrecorded songs, a few guitar licks, two albums that went nowhere, and as much groupie sex as my road-worn penis could handle. That last one being the biggest benefit so far, in my humble opinion. But I am driven. Compelled by a force that still refuses to take no for an answer. I have always had a deep, restless desire to push myself to have a successful music career in music -- to have it be my life; it already is my love. Ever since I first touched a guitar and it touched me at the tender age of eleven, I have wanted this. Wanted to be part of music, the world of the musician, and everything it heralds and promises. But making a living at it has been like trying to suck pregnant goats through a garden hose. Difficult to say the least.

3 comments:

  1. This is book I probably wouldn't read, but I can see how someone who is interested in the life and career of RS would be drawn in by that intro. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opening. I don't really care about Rick Springfield, but he's certainly caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too don't read contemporary, celeb memoirs -- but this opening has got what I would want -- torrid, tawdry detail and some insight into the creative process.

    ReplyDelete