Tuesday, October 23, 2012

First Chapter -- First Paragraph -- Tuesday Intros



Diane from Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros.  This week's intro is from Happens Every Day by Isabel Gillies:


One late August afternoon in our new house in Oberlin, Ohio, my husband, Josiah, took it upon himself to wallpaper the bathroom with pictures of our family.  Over the years, we had collected an enormous number of framed pictures.  Some were generations old and really should be called photographs; like the one of Josiah's grandfather, a Daniel Day-Lewis like, strong-looking man, sitting in profile on a porch, casually surrounded by all his family, including my father-in-law, Sherman, at age ten.  I always thought that picture would make a good album cover for a Southern rock band like Lynyrd Skynrd.  There was one of my great-grandmothers looking beautiful, rich and Bostonian on her wedding day in 1913.  There was one of my mother in Jackie O sunglasses and pigtails.  Numerous black-and-white pictures of various family dogs..

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't imagine decorating a bathroom in family photos...LOL, but I still might read on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, I agree with Diane. I'd be a little creeped out about decorating the bathroom with family photos... maybe another room though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one sitting on the shelf to read but don't know when I might get to it. Now I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete