Monday, May 7, 2012

Mailbox Monday -- May 7th!


Welcome to Mailbox Monday which is hosted this month by Martha's Bookshelf. Below are the books I received this week:

 1) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Publisher's Summary. Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomqvist is hired by Henrik Vanger to investigate the disappearance of Vanger’s great-niece Harriet. Henrik suspects that someone in his family, the powerful Vanger clan, murdered Harriet over forty years ago. Starting his investigation, Mikael realizes that Harriet’s disappearance is not a single event, but rather linked to series of gruesome murders in the past. He now crosses paths with Lisbeth Salander, a young computer hacker, an asocial punk and most importantly, a young woman driven by her vindictiveness. Together they form an unlikely couple as they dive deeper into the violent past of the secretive Vanger family.

2) The Girl Who Played with Fire. by Stiegg Larsson. Publisher's Summary. Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon. Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system. When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

 Both thanks to Paperback Swap!

3) A Chance in the World by Steve Pemberton. Publisher's Summary.  Home is the place where our life stories begin. It is where we are understood, embraced, and accepted. It is a sanctuary of safety and security, a place to which we can always return. Down in the dank basement, amid my moldy, hoarded food and worm-eaten books, I dreamed that my real home, the place where my story had begun, was out there somewhere, and one day I was going to find it. Taken from his mother at age three, Steve Klakowicz lives a terrifying existence. Caught in the clutches of a cruel foster family and subjected to constant abuse, Steve finds his only refuge in a box of books given to him by a kind stranger. In these books, he discovers new worlds he can only imagine and begins to hope that one day he might have a different life—that one day he will find his true home. A fair-complexioned boy with blue eyes, a curly Afro, and a Polish last name, he is determined to unravel the mystery of his origins and find his birth family. Armed with just a single clue, Steve embarks on an extraordinary quest for his identity, only to learn that nothing is as it appears. A Chance in the World is the unbelievably true story of a wounded and broken boy destined to become a man of resilience, determination, and vision. Through it all, Steve’s story teaches us that no matter how broken our past, no matter how great our misfortunes, we have it in us to create a new beginning and to build a place where love awaits.

Thanks to Thomas Nelson!

18 comments:

  1. Kim, Hope you enjoy the first (2) of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. I enjoyed then (still need to read #3).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Chance in the World sounds like a beautiful story. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy them all. I am sure you are going to love the Larsson books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still not sure I want to read the Larsson books, but I've heard great things about them. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the Dragon Tattoo books are in your future. I have the first 2 on my Kindle but just haven't gotten to them yet. I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the Larsson books but I know people love them. Hope you do as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good reading week ahead.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/05/mailbox-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your new books! I read Larsson's first book, and have the other two waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my MM post, and in regards to your comment RE:Kindle.. I thought I would NEVER ever get an Ereader, just because why should I? I have 600 books that I own that I haven't read yet! Well, turns out I got an old hand me down one from a friend, a Pandigital, and it's been a chore and a delight at the same time. The freebies are awesome, and now I can use NetGalley etc (which is really a bad idea if you already have too many books!)... so long story short, you should get yourself one as they are relatively inexpensive these days.
    And that means less clutter on shelves, and for new releases most of the time the ebook is cheaper than the physical book. Something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've raised some valid points Marie. I forgot about Netgallery which I have never been able to take advantage of & my bookshelves could use a little less on them.

      Good points to ponder

      Delete
  10. Paperback Swap makes me so happy. I hope you enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got some fun reads this week! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never tried Paperback Swap but it looks like you scored some awesome books there. Enjoy your new Larsson book collection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still need to read the Millennium Trilogy. I have the box set of the books sitting on my shelf looking pretty. I haven't tried Paperback Swap ... mostly because I have so many other ways of getting books both new and used, but I see a lot of people getting good books with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't believe I haven't read any Stieg Larsson's books yet. But I liked the movies though. Hope you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...and have The Girl Who Played with Fire on my stacks. Enjoy!

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really need to read the Millenium trilogy, I have all three on my nook - just need to find the time! I have not heard of A Chance in the World but WOW does that sound like a powerful story! Sounds heart breakingly beautiful.

    Thanks so much for dropping by my blog :)

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete